UPDATE 8-3: All Volunteer Slots Have Been Filled. Thank you!We are excited to announce the 2nd annual “iPick iStomp iDrink™” grape harvest at Fireside Winery’s Brickyard Hill Vineyard. Planning grape harvest dates is one-part art and one-part science. Because of the unusual weather conditions, late frost and hot summer, we’re likely going to pick earlier than normal. But dates can and likely will change unexpectedly.
IMPORTANT: Consider the below dates as tentative (grape ripening and weather dependent) and any change may result in a date cancellation and/or a move to another weekend.
GRAPE HARVEST WORK PARTY DATES (Saturdays)
August 4, Volunteers needed: 40 (Full)
First Come Basis
Where: Brickyard Hill Vineyard (Marengo, IA)
When: 7:30am-noon (at the vineyard); then back to the winery for lunch and fun (Noon to 3pm).
What: Join us at the Brickyard Hill Vineyard by 7:30 and help us harvest our 13+ acres of grapes.
What to Bring: Hat, gloves, sunscreen and snacks
What to Expect (times are approximate):
7:15am. Arrive at Brickyard Hill Vineyard for briefing.
7:30am – Noon. Pick grapes (take a break when you need).
12:00pm. Depart vineyard and drive to Fireside Winery (1755 P Ave).
Noon-3pm. Receive thank you lunch, bottle of wine (for those 21 or older), grape stomp, production tour (you can help us during the crush operations, if you’d like), and a "iPick iStomp iDrink™" - harvest t-shirt.
IMPORTANT -- THIS IS REAL VINEYARD WORK!
Must be at least 15 years old to receive above benefits; and 21 and older to receive the complementary bottle of wine.
REGISTER NOW: LIMITED SPACE - Send the following information to Brad@firesidewinery.com – subject line: “iPick”
1. Name of Contact; Phone Number.
2. Number of Pickers in your group.
3. T-shirt sizes for those 15 years or older.
4. Date Preferred (see above for dates). Please indicate secondary choice. *Note: please let us know if you are willing to be called upon on short notice to help pick if conditions warrant.5. Special dietary concerns.
Other Considerations: It’s a good idea to wear a long sleeved t-shirt as you'll be fishing around the vines to find the berries (not required but suggested). Check the weather reports before you leave - might want to have a jacket for the cool morning and shorts and t-shirts for later in the morning and later on for the STOMP. NOTE: In the event of thunder/lightening or severe weather during harvest we will call pickers from the vineyard until threat diminishes. Some people wear gloves. Insect repellant. Bring Snacks. Take a break when you need. Drink plenty of water.
Directions to Brickyard Hill Vineyard: leave earlier than you think you need if you’ve never been to the vineyard before.
Reference Start Point – Marengo, Iowa (US-6)
1. US-6 – Drive WEST out of Marengo (just out of town).
2. Turn LEFT (South) on L Ave (County Hwy V-62), a gravel road. (NOTE: there will be a grain CO-OP at the corner of US-6 and V-62.
3. Drive approximately 1 mile and take the first gravel road on your RIGHT (160th St.). Look for Vineyard Sign at turn. As you travel on 160th St. you’ll notice farm buildings and grain silos. Continue on 160th for about ¼ mile.
4. Take the first turn to the LEFT (about ¼ mile from the last turn) on Kk Ave. You’ll begin to climb a hill.
5. Within about 400 yards you’ll notice a Vineyard on the hill (Note vineyard sign). Turn LEFT onto the gravel entrance of the vineyard.
6. Follow the gravel drive up the hill and park on top. There will be other cars and Fireside Winery staff there to direct.
7. IF YOU GET LOST – call Brad at 319-329-1509. FYI…There is limited cell phone reception in the vineyard.
MAP Link: http://bit.ly/NtjN2L